The West Anniston Foundation begin its We Can program in 2014 with a partnership between the City of Anniston’s Summer Day Camp programs and the Bilingual Kids.
We Can! (Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity & Nutrition) is a national campaign of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services aimed at addressing overweight and obesity in children between the ages 8-13 and their caregivers. The program provides educational opportunities within the targeted community to help children and their parents make healthier food choices, increase physical activity, and reduce time in front of screens (i.e. computers, video games, televisions). Through programs, community events and materials We Can! will help parents and primary caregivers by encouraging them to:
· Increase the availability and accessibility of healthy foods in the home.
· Enjoy small portions at home and restaurants.
· Limit the availability and accessibility in the home of sweetened beverages, high-fat foods, and energy dense foods.
· Support and enable family physical activity.
· Support and enable reduce screen time.
Current Partnerships with program
· Bilingual Kids, Inc.
· Carver Community Center
Funding for We Can! made possible by: the Stringfellow Health Fund and the City of Anniston Competitive Fund of the Community Foundation of Northeast Alabama, The Community Development Block Grant, Eastman and the Daniel Foundation.